Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike Review
The Good : Compact, Portable, Fast, Stylish Design
The Bad : Plastic Pedals
The Bottom Line:
A simple but fun way to make short trips in style
The Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is a compact and simple bike that’s perfect for short trips around town. The raised handlebar and seat give the bike a unique, stylish look while the rear coaster brake brings back memories of your childhood, allowing you to pedal backwards and stop the bike with a skid.
Folding and unfolding the bike is super simple and takes fewer than 10 seconds which means you can grab the bike and go at any time, even if you are in a hurry. In addition to this, Dahon’s DoubleLok and magnetic latching system ensure that the bike is held securely in place when folded which makes carrying and storing the bike very easy.
1) Compact:- One of the best features of the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is that it’s very small when folded. It can easily fit into most closets and won’t clutter up your home, no matter how little space you have. You simply fold it up when you get home, put it in the closet out of the way and then forget about it until next time you go cycling.
2) Portable:- Another excellent feature of the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is its portability. With a regular, non-folding bike you have to find a place to lock it up every time you stop cycling. Using public transport with a full sized bike is also a nightmare as you have to squeeze your bulky bike amongst the crowd of commuters. However, with the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike you can simply fold it up and take it with you anytime you stop. You don’t need to worry about locking it up and you can easily carry it onto a bus or train without annoying the other commuters. It also folds fully in fewer than 10 seconds, so transitioning from cycling to carrying is almost instant.
3) Fast:- Despite being a single speed bike, the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is very fast and you can build up some serious speed on flat stretches. While it’s by no means up to the standard of bikes with multiple gears, it’s a lot quicker than many other single speed bikes on the market and a great option when you need to be somewhere fast.
4) Stylish Design:- If the way a bike looks is important to you then you’ll love the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike. Unlike most folding bikes which look antiquated and not very stylish, the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike has a sleek, modern design which resembles the look of a BMX bike. You’ll definitely look cool as you zip around and get lots of positive comments on your travels.
1) Plastic Pedals:- In most areas, the simplicity of the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is what make it so special. Unfortunately, the simple plastic pedals are one area of the bike that’s not so good. While it’s great to be able to fold the plastic pedals in and make the bike more compact, the plastic is too brittle and the pedals snap too easily. If you are planning on purchasing this bike then you will probably need to replace the weak plastic pedals with stronger metal ones. Not only does this add extra cost but it also means you can no longer fold the pedals.
The Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike is a simple but fun way to make short trips in style. It folds up very easily and very quickly which means you can store it or pick it up and carry it in virtually no time at all. It’s also surprisingly fast and stylish for a single speed, folding bike. The plastic pedals are annoying and ideally Dahon could have included metal folding pedals. However, they can be replaced and even with non-folding metal pedals, the bike is still highly portable. Ultimately, the Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike has very few flaws and gives you everything you need from a folding bike for a very reasonable price.
- Rear coaster brake which allow you to pedal backwards and skid stop.
- Folds completely in fewer than 10 seconds.
- BioLogic FreeDrive which encloses the chain and protects your clothes from grease and oil.
- Dahon's DoubleLok and magnetic latch design hold all the hinges super tight while they are in a folded position and keep the bike secure when in storage.
- Single speed for easy operation.
- Supports riders as small as 4 feet, 8 inch and as tall as 6 feet, 4 inch.