Review Archives: Mountain Bikes
The Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is a solid, 21 speed mountain bike which can handle all your off road needs. The alloy, dual suspension frame ensures that the bike absorbs all the impact that the unpredictable off road trails throw at you while the extra thick MTB wheels and high grip MTB tires give you maximum grip and control on the rough and ready tracks. The bike comes in a stylish, metallic green color, so not only will you be able to face the off road trails head on but you’ll also look super cool as you do it.
- 21 speed shifting with a Shimano rear derailleur and SRAM MRX shifters for quick, accurate gear changes.
- Alloy linear pull brakes for rapid, responsive braking.
- ATB anatomical saddle for optimum comfort as you cycle.
- Heavy duty rear shock absorber and front fork suspension for a smoother, more controlled ride.
- Lightweight alloy rims with MTB hubs for improved handling.
- Knobby MTB tires and thick 24 inch MTB wheels for improved grip on the mountain trails.
1) Great For Big Kids:- A big benefit of the Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is the wheel size. 24 inch wheels are just the right size for 10 to 12 year old children who have outgrown kid’s bikes but are not quite ready for a full sized adult’s bike. There are very bikes on the market that come with wheels this size, so if this is what you need, the Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is a perfect choice.
2) Low Price:- There aren’t many mountain bikes on the market that cost less than $200. There are even fewer that cost less than $200 and come with dual suspension. However, the Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is one of the few bikes that satisfies both these criteria which means you can enjoy maximum shock absorption when you hit the bumpy trails without it costing you an arm and a leg.
3) Smooth Gear Changes:- Although the Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is a relatively low cost bike, this doesn’t show in the components. All the materials are high quality and built to last. The SRAM MRX shifter is particularly good quality and allows you to change gears at any time in a smooth, controlled motion.
1) Heavy:- One area where the Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels could be improved is its weight. While it’s not too heavy for a 10 to 12 year to use, it’s a lot heavier than a regular children’s bike and will make them struggle. A lighter aluminum frame would have been much more suitable, given that this bike is aimed at children.
The Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is a fantastic budget bike for kids who have outgrown their children’s bike but are not quite ready for a full sized adult’s bike. It’s functional, it’s got good quality parts and it provides you with dual suspension for less than $200. The main flaw with the bike is that it’s quite heavy and children will struggle to lift it. For the price tag you can’t really expect an aluminum frame and the Mongoose Maxim Dual Suspension Mountain Bike With 24 Inch Wheels is well worth the money. However, if you have a larger budget, you may want to look at a more expensive, lighter mountain bike for your child.
The GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike is a fully loaded mountain bike that comes with everything you need to tackle the tough mountain terrain. The super strong aluminum frame ensures that the bike stands up to everything the mountains throw at it while the 21 speed gear system allows you to adjust your speed rapidly as you travel through the constantly changing off road trails. In addition to this, the full front and rear suspension system ensures that you get a smooth ride, even on the bumpiest of trails and the Promax disc brakes offer the advanced braking power you need to stop rapidly when hazards present themselves. The bike itself comes in a slick but subtle black and grey design which is easy on the eyes and will appeal to almost every taste.
- 26 inch, extra strong, MTB aluminum frame which is both lightweight and durable.
- 21 speed gears with Microshift push shifters that control the Shimano TZ-30GS derailleur for quick and easy gear changes.
- Aluminum wheels with a V shape rim profile and high flange alloy hubs for improved handling.
- Front and rear Promax disc brakes which allow you to brake rapidly in all weather conditions.
- Full front and rear suspension with a floating beam suspension design which is mated to a Zoom suspension fork with elastomer/spring technology for maximum shock absorption.
1) Disc Brakes:- The standout feature of the GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike is the inclusion of disk brakes. Disc brakes provide you with far better braking power than rim brakes and are much more responsive in wet weather conditions. When purchased separately, disc brakes usually cost close to $100, so when you consider that the whole bike costs less than $300, the addition of disc brakes represents fantastic value.
2) Smooth Gear Changes:- The Shimano TZ-30GS derailleur is another part of this bike that gets top marks. Whether you are cycling fast, slow, uphill or downhill, the derailleur will ensure that you can change gear smoothly without having to worry about the chain clicking or jumping. This is a particularly beneficial when you are cycling along uneven mountain trails as regular, rapid, smooth gear changes are essential for coping with the constant changes in gradient.
3) Dual Suspension:- Another great feature of the GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike is the dual suspension. For the price, it’s very responsive and absorbs the impact of curbs, potholes and uneven trails with ease.
4) Low Price:- As mentioned above, the disc brakes alone make the GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike excellent value for money. When you add in the fact that you get dual suspension and a top quality derailleur, the value of this bike shoots up even more. If you only have $300 to spend on a mountain bike, this is one of the best investments you can make.
1) Heavy:- Like many budget mountain bikes, the GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike is a bit on the heavy side and weighs in at 38lbs. This isn’t a huge problem if you are riding the bike for pleasure. However, it does make cycling uphill a little bit tougher and it does mean you can’t cycle as fast.
For the price, the GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike really over delivers. You get disc brakes, good quality dual suspension and a top quality derailleur for under $300. It is heavy, so if you need a mountain bike that you can race or you want a mountain bike that doesn’t require much effort when cycling uphill, this one isn’t the right choice for you. However, if you’re not planning to race but want a good, solid bike that can stand up to the challenges of off road cycling, the GMC Topkick Dual Suspension Mountain Bike is an excellent purchase.